Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Adrenalin Anyone?

It's December - just over three weeks until Christmas. My goal, as mentioned previously, is to be "prednisone free" by the 25th.

Prednisone is a steroidal anti-inflammatory. For me, the drug works to decrease inflammation in my lungs and airways. The problem is - it's terrible for you. Long term side effects include everything from osteoporosis to liver and kidney disease. So here I am, faced with a frustrating paradox.

What to do?

a) Feel great while popping prednisone like pez.
b)Feel like shit but be prednisone free.

I have decided that getting off the drug is the way to go. Unfortunately, I have been trying to wean off of it for nearly a year and a half. At the moment I am taking 12.5mg a day.

The biggest issue.....I'm a freakin zombie.

Prednisone gives you adrenalin; and, therefore, your adrenal glands go into hibernation while you are on the drug. As a result, your body stops producing adrenalin naturally. The problem: as I wean off the drug my body is literally adrenalin deprived.

Until my body decides to start pumping out adrenalin again I'll be living off coffee and cat naps.

No comments: