Friday, February 13, 2009

Blogging for a Purpose

Lock, load, aim, shoot…..blank.

Maybe I can’t perform under pressure, or maybe I just don’t have a strong enough passion for social media. Either way, I’m just not down with talking about the social media landscape today.

So let me start by apologizing to those of you who expect a well crafted “PR” related blog posting. Quite frankly, I’m not in the mood.

What makes my blog unique? I blog, I write, I rant, I rave; however, there is one thing that separates me from the pack.

Malcom Gladwell’s book, Outliers: The Story of Success, suggests that an individual must have 10,000 hours in a specific area to be considered an expert. Next March I will be celebrating my 24 birthday. Do the math; since my diagnosis I’ve been living with CF for over 166,440 hours. More accurately, I have been living with Cystic Fibrosis for over 210,240 hours; albeit, my diagnosis did not occur until I was 5-years-old.

What qualifies me to write about Cystic Fibrosis? It’s quite simple – I know the disease. More accurately, I live the disease day in and day out.

If 10,000 hours makes you an expert, then 200,000 + hours must make me an absolute connoisseur!

I urge you to take note of my musings; because, quite frankly, I write for a reason.

5 comments:

T.J. Goertz said...

Bam, SOCK, pow!
Point made.

Brittney said...

A PR related blog would not make as much impact...

Andrea Sluga said...

Well put, my friend. Who better to tell the CF story than you?

Four years of journalism school taught me one very important lesson: the best stories written are always the ones with human interest.

So keep it coming Erick, I will be listening.

Anonymous said...

Great post Erick. A blog is suppose to be used to express the feelings you have at the moment not topics that you are forced to right about and things that your entire blog roll has also posted on. Your blog is everyday real life and much more interesting to read than any of us who have been forced to blog just to get a grade (well, I already have seven posts on my blog, I guess I get the marks for that assignment) Again, great post.

Erick Bauer said...

Thanks for your thoughts guys. I do appreciate it. The act of writing is, in and of itself, enjoyable; however, knowing that people out there are listening makes my blogging experience all the more worth while.