Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Lucky

There are people in this world who bitch, who complain, and who constantly embrace negativity. There are those who moan about money, those who whine about inequality, and of course, there are those who cannot get over how “unfair” life seems to be.

Then there are those people who refuse to succumb to pessimism. These individuals scorn self-pity. Instead, they embrace the positive – even in situations that are inherently negative. I, myself, admit to sometimes giving in to the impulses of pessimism. After all, it is often much easier to complain than to overcome.

As many of you know, the last two year’s have been rather tough for me. I have battled several lung infections - a few of which landed me in the hospital. I have been hooked up to IV’s and pumped full of antibiotics; I have experienced significant kidney and liver complications; I have suffered from blood-clots and reoccurring bacterial infections; I have become dependent on steroids and a plethora of other medications. Needless to say, the last few years have taken their toll on me - to the point where I began to lose sight of the bigger picture.

What is the bigger picture, you might ask?

It’s simple: I am very lucky.


I am lucky because, despite the annoyance of my daily therapy regime, I am able to get up and live my life. I am able to go to work every day; I am able to enjoy the company of my friends and family. Although it is tough at times, I can go jogging and enjoy the outdoors. I can go for drinks with my friends and take walks with my girlfriend. I can enjoy the warmth of the sun and the beauty of the fall colours.

There have been times in my life when I have been unable to do these things. Times when climbing a flight of stairs or walking to the washroom were daunting and difficult tasks. Times when life did not exist outside of my hospital room.

Sure, my health is nowhere near perfect – in fact, my lung function has dropped nearly 20 per cent in the last year. However, I must force myself not to lose site of how lucky I truly am.

I am still breathing and still fighting.

I urge you to reassess your life. Consider your situation and ask yourself: how lucky am I?

No comments: